CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Friday, August 20, 2010

Natural Hair Commentary

I love visiting the natural hair blogs! I came across this great quote while wisiting The Afroniquely You Blog. In an interview on the blog, model Nikia Phoenix, had this to say about natural hair:

"I do think natural is professional. I’ve been having this conversation with my mom lately. She’s been conditioned to think that natural hair isn’t polished. My mom keeps saying things like “you should get a few wigs so you can be more versatile” or “do you think you’re getting less work because your hair isn’t straight?” I know that she means no harm, but she brings up some interesting points. American society has black women believing that we can’t be accepted with our kinky hair. Locs and dreads are portrayed as dirty and unkept. Afros and natural curls mean you’re making a political statement. I believe that when employers see black woman with natural hair, they feel intimidated. I guess natural hair is an unofficial sign that we are not conforming to their standards of beauty."

0 comments: