CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Wednesday, October 14, 2009

Who Writes Your Laws Of Power?

Sometimes I think that the With all of the books on "universal laws" and out of all the great intellects, leaders, and strategists that have spanned the eras (not to mention a one's own intuition); why are some people turning to Robert Greene to give them the "laws of power." I've skimmed his "48 Laws of Power," and decided not to read it fully. It seemed too sinister to me, and I didn't find a lot of it valid.

However, I literally just finished fully reading Robert Greene's "The 33 Strategies of War." Although I didn't agree with a percentage of it, I liked some of the allegories and some of the lessons. I especially liked the first part of the book that applied to self-discipline. [SIDEBAR: I recently took Mr. Greene's most recent tome (a collaboration with 50 cent) out of the library; so I'll see what I think about that rendition of "power rules" soon.]

To quote the author Robert Greene himself, from "The 33 Strategies of War":

"Over the centuries millions upon millions of readers have used Machiavelli's books for invaluable advice on power. But could it possibly be the opposite- that it is Machiavelli who has been using his readers? Scattered through his writings and through his letters to his friends, some of them uncovered centuries after his death, are signs that he pondered deeply the strategy of writing itself and the power he could wield after his death by infiltrating his ideas indirectly and deeply into his readers' minds, transforming them into unwitting disciples of his amoral philosophy."

So, again I ask: "Who writes your laws of power?"

0 comments: